Saturday, August 1, 2009

Swedish Pancakes. (Plätta)

Here is another absolute comfort food in the Olson household. Rob made sure I knew how to make them before we got married : ) It's rather time-consuming, but these pancakes are very special that I make them quite often for dinner as well as breakfast.
Ingredients (you can double the recipe):
2 eggs
2 cups milk
pinch of salt
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 cup flour
2 Tbs. melted butter

Mix the wet ingredients except for butter. Add salt, sugar, nutmeg and almond extract. Gradually add flour and mix well until you have few lumps. Add melted butter. The texture should be similar to crepe batter.
Then, I use this special, well-seasoned and inherited Swedish pancake pan, preheated on medium-high. Butter the pan and pour the batter. When they are golden brown, flip them with knife.
When the both sides are golden brown, they are done.
According to the real Swedish way, we should eat with butter and jam, but we have Americanized them that we eat them with butter and syrup. I even eat them with fruit and whipped cream : ) Yum!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Now where do I get a well seasoned inherited Swedish pan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got it from Rob's mom, which she had inherited from another. I was told not to wash the pan with soap. It's a serious inheritance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I've eaten these all my life, a recipe that is similar to yours, acquired from my mother's German grandmother! Never knew the "platta" I ate were Swedish, LOL! We never had a special pan, just poured a circle of batter in an iron skillet and ate with butter & preserves. Now I've adjusted it to be Low-Carb, and it's close enough to feel like "home." Thanks for posting. Barb in Colorado ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. The traditional way to eat them is with Lingonberry jam and a little bit of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this recipe this morning and it was quite good. A couple suggestions would be to keep melted butter near and use brush on each circle before pouring batter. Also, I like to separate the whites of the eggs and whip them up and fold them in last. Makes much lighter, more even outcome.

    ReplyDelete